mixed-ability classes

mixed-ability classes

Postby dianatanasache » Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:00 pm

Any group of students is made of a wide variety of learners and the most important factor in causing mixed ability classes, I consider it to be previous exposure or previous learning experience , followed by:
2. learning style
3. motivation
4. aptitude
5. attitude
6. personality
In some cases, previous learning experiences are the most difficult and challenging problems to deal with, because the students have different expectations about what is going to happen.

Yes, I also agree with “every group is a mixed-ability group”, and I strongly believe that this makes a teacher’s activity more interesting. Dealing with a wide range of abilities and factors requires a good understanding of the strategies that a teacher can use during classes and this involves creating or providing different tasks. It is easy for students to get frustrated in a class of mixed ability and the best solution is to try to anticipate reactions, to know your students’ needs and adapt to situations, maybe have an open class discussion to create a positive working environment, which is all part of ensuring better learning.
dianatanasache

Return to Unit 1 - Discussion topic