Unit 2 - Planning a Unit of Work. 8. Discussion topics.

Postby Carmen Pliego » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:54 am

1. Read the three teachers' quotes again. Whose planning style is most like your own – Deniz's, Paolo's, Erika's or none of these? Why?
My planning style is like Deniz's since I'm also teaching in secondary level as well as I also alternate between vocabulary and grammar so not to loose student's attention.

2. Which qualities do you think are most important in planning a unit of work? Give your reasons. Choose from this list, and add others if necessary:
I'd order them from the most important to the least as: 1. flow with the syllabus, 2. logic, 3. relevance, 4. balance, 5. cohesion, 6. variety
due to teenagers get easily bored I must always try to give them several activities to keep their attention and going with the national syllabus at the same time.

3. When you plan a lesson, do you...

a. plan one lesson at a time, a series of lessons and
b. start with the aims which are set in the national syllabus because the most important part in secondary level is to reach the syllabus at the end of the schooler year.

4. What advice would you give a new teacher who says, "I spend hours and hours planning a scheme of work: I seem to go round and round, not getting anywhere"?
First know your students, their likes, their social background, their language background then deeply know the syllabus in order to know which aims you must reach and the set a general goal in which you can mix the two previous ideas and just then you will have an idea on which path follow
Carmen Pliego

Return to Unit 2 - Discussion topic