Names. What about you ?

Names. What about you ?

Postby luisgferrer » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:03 pm

1. What are common names where you come from?
In Barcelona are common names Jordi, Juan, Pere, Pau, Luis, Montserrat, etc.
2. Is your family name common?
My family name is “Ferrer”, and it is a common name in all Mediterranean area.
3. Does your family name tell you anything about your family (e.g., where you come from)?
It refers to a profession not to a region. Ferrer means blacksmith.
4. Some English names refer to trades or professions, such as Butcher or Baker. Does your name mean anything? Are there any names in your country that do?.
As I told you before Ferrer means “blacksmith”, and refer to this profession, but it was not the profession of my family. There are other names in Catalan that refers to different professions: Fuste (carpenter), Sabater (shoemaker), Manyer (bricklayer), Mariner (sailer), Masover, etc.

5. Are any names from other countries popular in your country? Which ones?
Yes, Alexis, Alexandra, Katarina, Ana, Isabella, etc.
6. In your country when you meet someone for the first time what name do you use? How do you know when you can use their first name?
If I know a person for first time in a professional way I always use both names: Luis Ferrer. But if it is in a friend way I usually say my first name nor the surname.
7. In your country do you ever use surnames without a title (e.g., Mrs or Mr)? When could you do this? Why would you do it?
In a colloquial way of speaking. When I am speaking with other lawyers or professionals and there is not a friendship, or sometimes the relation is nor very good, is quite usual to say: García ….., instead of Peter or Luis. It is no very friend or polite.

8. There are common pet names in English that show affection, such as honey, darling or pet. What words are used in your language?
Diminutive or tiny words as Pedrito, Luisito, Montsita ; some times contractions of words (Jan, Luisbi).
luisgferrer

Return to General