about Kumiko's story

about Kumiko's story

Postby damian.pastorj » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:07 am

Chat. Unit 5.
What do you think?

1. Do you really think the story of Kumiko Tsuchida is true?
I’m afraid it isn’t true. I think the idea is only to work with a pronunciation mistake writing an interesting example.

2. Is it possible someone could travel two or three hours on a train and really think they had arrived in Turkey?
Is feasible to travel from the London to Istanbul by train but this journey takes much more than two or three hours, it must takes two or three days so this is a long-distance travel…Perhaps this person didn’t know how long would be the travel….I don’t know but if it’s true is really rare to happen. How very odd…

3. Has anything happened to you because you mispronounced, or didn’t understand, a word or name in another language?
Anything has happened to me that I remember. Anyway, there are some words that can make someone fall in a mistake. There are similar words between two languages; these terms are called ‘false friends’. There is also happens in pronunciation which have a small difference in pronunciation but a big difference in meaning (like the story). A misunderstood word will remain misunderstood until one clears the meaning of the words, sometimes too late….
damian.pastorj

Return to General