Space exploration

Space exploration

Postby Maarit » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:39 am

Hi again,
Yes, I think space exploration is necessary and useful for mankind when it has scientific aims. For example Johannes Kepler and his colleagues Nicolaus Kopernicus and Tycho Brahe studied planets in the 16th century and their investigations have been very important to us during hundreds of years.
Actually I do not believe that we will find the same kind of life on other planets as we have on Earth. Other planets are too hot or too cold for living. Of course, there can be some plants living and perhaps some animals on some other planet. It would be nice to think there are living persons very far away but however I do not believe it.
Scientists have done research for hundreds of years and they have not found any planet similar to Earth. Some planets appear to have similarities with Earth, for example they orbit some star the same way as Earth orbits the Sun or their surface temperature can be suitable for life but nothing more.
Sometimes I think if we destroyed our Earth, we would find another planet to live in order to continue our greedy manners but it is not a nice idea.
I have seen some films about communities living in space but I do not remember their names. Many films about space exploration have been made as well. Some of them are very fascinating. However they are not my cup of tea.
I am not sure if space tourism is a good use of money. Again we must ask for a reason for it. Scientific research is very useful but perhaps space tourism does not fill this criterion.
Best regards
Take care
Maarit
Maarit

Re: Space exploration

Postby Admin » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:44 am

Hi Maarit, it seems incredible that among the billions of stars out there there is not one that could support life.. it makes me dizzy thinking about it! And yes, space tourism seems like a massive waste of money - the ultimate holiday for the super rich.
See you,
Pieter
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Laura » Sat Oct 31, 2015 6:03 pm

In my opinion, we have too many problems to fix in Earth to be spending money and resources on space exploration. In a global world, hunger and health issues should be dealt with before launching space exploration projects. But maybe this is just a naive point o view.
Laura

Postby Admin » Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:15 pm

I know Laura, and the space programs are so expensive!
See you,
Pieter
Admin
Site Admin

Space exploration

Postby Anna » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:07 am

My opinion about space exploration is based on what I’ve read on papers or what I’ve watched on some TV programs, with no scientific basis. Anyway, there are some aspects about which I think ordinary people like me can make a point. For example, if we talk about the need that human beings have of explore new territories so they can ensure a surviving race. Obviously, we are devastating and raging Earth, steadily and conscientiously, and at this pace, it’s not going to last forever…So it is reasonable that we are worried about where are we going to live in a few lustrums.
Space tourism is very expensive, just a few can do it, but at the same time only these rich people can invest on space research, so I don’t think it’s a bad idea.
What it worries me the most is where countries budgets should include such a huge amount of money whereas famine increases day to day.
Anna

Postby Anna » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:34 pm

I remember in particular a film named "Elysium". It pictures a supposed alternative perfect world where all diseases can be cured, but it is reserved only for the elites. The citizens on Earth live under horrible conditions. Another film that strikes me is Interstellar. Relates the search of another planet where humanity can settle because Earth is dying. Only corn can be sowed and there’s no enough for all due to very strong sand winds. The search for alternative planets is the only chance inhabitants have, but the expedition has to choose between various possible destinies. The astronauts know that time runs differently on Earth than on space. Love is the only and last chance we have.
Anna

Postby Admin » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:13 am

I wonder if finding an alternative planet is really an option. If there is one, it's probably very far away and it's not clear if humans can survive a very long journey without gravity. I just read an article about growing plants in space: the lack of gravity seriously affects the growth of seedlings, they don't grow normally. So they'd have to take all their food with them? It seems unlikely..
Pieter
Admin
Site Admin

Return to Unit 4