Names

Names

Postby Maria Cabezas » Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:03 pm

I am from Catalonia and the most common names in my country are Jordi, Carles, Arnau,.. for men and Montserrat, Maria, Roser, Mercè, ... for women. There are also a lot of common surnames that mean professions Fuster, one of my surnames is Torné that is an abreviation on torner (tornero in Spanish), Mestre, there are more but I can’t remember anyone else now.
I don’t know but I think that my family name is common and I don’t know where does it come.
I think that people use names from other countries like Erika, I can’t remember another one but I know there are others. Also there is a lot of people from other countries living in Spain so i think they should use names from their countries.

When we meet someone or the first time if it is a formal situation we said Senyor for man or Senyora for woman and then the surname if no we use the first name.

We use a lot of affection names: carinyo, amor, estimat, estimada,...
Maria Cabezas

names

Postby ccr1 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:36 am

My name is Carmen, a very typical spanish name, don't you think so?
ccr1

Re: names

Postby Dolça » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:18 pm

ccr1 wrote :
> My name is Carmen, a very typical spanish name, don't you think so?
I think that Carmen is an usual spanish name, but Maria or Antonia are more typical spanish names. My name is unusual and when I meet people, I often have to repeat my name some times because they don't understand it the first time.
Dolça

Return to General