Mixed-Ability classes.Discussion topics

Mixed-Ability classes.Discussion topics

Postby mllufriu » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:02 am

2. I believe that all suggestions given by the teachers are practical and commonsense. They all encourage participation, which i think is essential in language learning, and pair or group work. Making students feel that they are protagonists in the process is also important, although the teacher must always be there as a moderator and ultimate supervisor. In readings, I always stress the importance of key words, and at the same time insist on the fact that it is not a problem if they do not know all the words - they will never know all of them - ; although I also try to make them if not love at least accept the importance of dictionaries. I would like to be able to think of grammar as unnecessary. Sadly, this is only possible in the case of continuous exposure to the language, which in secondary school, with 3 hours a week and often big, varied groups is certainly a utopia. I believe in repetition, in trying to use that studied concept as often as possible and in all possible ways, until it comes almost naturally. Drills are a bit old-fashioned, but students often like them when we use them as a sort of game.
3. Yes, absolutely. I have been working in secondary and upper-secondary education for 17 years now, and I have never had a homogeneous group. This fact implies that we, as teachers, must always use our imagination and experience in order to respond to the needs of our students, not only the ones who have difficulties, but also the advantaged ones. it sounds easy, but it is not.
mllufriu

Re: Mixed-Ability classes.Discussion topics

Postby Lucy (tutor) » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:51 pm

Hi Mllufriu,

Thanks for posting and sharing your opinion and experience. I think you really hit on the truth when you say that in all those years you have never had a homogenous group. I haven't either, even in very small classes of students preparing for exams like FCE or CAE. I agree that we can best respond to our students' needs by using our imagination and experience.
Lucy (tutor)

Return to Unit 1 - Discussion topic