Planning a unit of work

Planning a unit of work

Postby andreeabarbulete » Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:40 am

1. Paolo's style resembles mine, but there are differences. Balance is important, focus on skills is significant, and so is variety. However, I think that a logical order if things is a sine qua non condition when planning a lesson/ scheme of work as a coherent approach makes learning easier. What I have from Erika's style is relevance; I try to create - even when following a syllabus - tasks based on students' interest points.

2. All these qualities are important; I would add students' weaknesses and strengths to the list. Clarity and simplicity are advisable, as a teacher shouldn't try to impress students with his or her erudition; teachers should speak "students' language", namely finding the most attractive way, the simplest and closest to the students' backgrounds to present a new language item.

3. Firstly, I set myself some aims, to get a general direction I'd like to follow, then I plan a series of lessons; I rely on course books, but I also use or additional materials for the classes, depending on my students' abilities. I used to plan in great details as it offered me a false sense of being in control; but not any more, as experience has taught me that students enjoy "taking over" from time to time; as a result my plans are now more like a frame work I can build upon.

4. My piece of advice would probably be:"Take a step back, get a fresh perspective, reconsider your approach and focus first and foremost on students needs and motivations".
andreeabarbulete

Return to Unit 2 - Discussion topic