About where you live

About where you live

Postby damian.pastorj » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:29 pm

Spanish houses and British ones.
Spanish houses are bigger than British houses. British living space per home is smaller than the average Spanish home. New homes in Spain are getting bigger. Newly built homes in Spain are more spacious than British ones. In Britain, new homes remain the same size as existing properties. Most of British families live in a house and very few people live in a flat. This is in stark contrast to families on Spain where flats are more popular. Yet almost bizarrely the average British family home has less usable living space than Spanish homes. On the other hand, there is a curiosity: the UK is less in terms of living space, particularly when you take the fact that we tend to live in houses rather than flats into account. The Spanish own more of their homes than the Brits. The UK has few developed rental sector. There are marked differences between the residential property prices in Spain and Britain and the types of homes people can buy.
A place where I live.
My flat is not very spacious but is comfortable. There are three bedrooms. There is enough space for three people. The living room and the kitchen are ok and shining. There are two bathrooms and a little veranda. There is a place where leave a car in the cellar. This is a typical type of building in my country. I would prefer to move to a bigger place to live. I will probably go to live in a house out of downtown.
damian.pastorj

Re: About where you live

Postby Pilar » Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:17 pm

Hi Damian

I ´m very surprise with your coment because i´ve never been in a typical Britain house but, i´ve always thought that it´s the opposite! I think that flats in Spain are smaller than Britains.

First, because i have the idea (it could be wrong...) that british people usually live in independent houses. The mayority with 2 or three storeys and with a little garden. That´s the type of house where i would like to live. A place where you can have breakfast or dinner in the garden. That´s could be marvellous!

However the reality it´s very different. I live in madrid and it´s very common live in an apartment block. And contrary what you think, i think that new flats are smaller than olders. My parents live in a house in the centre of Madrid and it´s very difficult find a new flat with these conditions.

Now, i live in a little flat (40 m2) on the outskirts of Madrid, because it´s cheaper than downtown. The advantages are that it´s an enclosed development with a padel court, gym and swimming pool. The principal disadvantage is that i´ve to take the car for everything.

At the end it depends on the preferences of each one. If you prefer living in the downtown, you should accept that the flats could be olders and expensives. If you prefer living outside you would probably need the car for everything.
Pilar

About where you live

Postby nuria » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:18 am

Where do you live? I live in a small flat from monday to friday in a small city, Girona. At he wekend I go to my parent's house, they live in a Masia, typical building in the catalan countryside, it used to be a farm.
What type of building do you live in? I live in a flat because it's to expensive to live in a house, but if the prices weren't so expensive I would prefer to live in a house in the countryside.
Is this a typical type of building in your city or country? In Girona the typical type of building are flats.
Do you like living there? Why? Why not? I like live in Girona because I can go on foot to my work and I don't need car, and for me this is hapiness because I feel very relax. But I would prefer live in a house in the countryside near to the nature.
Have you changed anything since you've lived there, or are you planning to change anything? No I haven't changed anything because I'm not the owner of my flat I rented it.
nuria

Return to General