Plan an island holiday!

Plan an island holiday!

Postby mkorhone » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:00 am

Plan an island holiday!

Use the Internet to find out the answers to these questions: What's the best and cheapest way of getting to Easter Island?
Maybe from Chile.

Pitcairn Island
Galapagos Islands
Tristan de Cunha

Faroe Islands: I hoped that sometimes I can travel from Finland to Faroe Island. It is quite easy to fly. At first I would fly to Iceland and then from Iceland to Faroe Island.
Andaman Islands

I found information about these islands:

Pitcairn Island
The Pitcairn Islands group is a British Overseas Territory. It comprises the islands of Pitcairn, Henderson, Ducie and Oeno. Pitcairn, the only inhabited island, is a small volcanic outcrop situated in the South Pacific at latitude 25.04 south and longitude 130.06 west. It is roughly 2170km (1350 miles) east south-east of Tahiti and just over 6600km (4100 miles) from Panama. The Islands' administrative headquarters are situated in Auckland New Zealand, 5310km (3300 miles) away.

With a population of only around fifty, the people of Pitcairn are descended from the mutineers of HMAV Bounty and their Tahitian companions. Pitcairn Island is approximately 3.2km (2 miles) long and 1.6km (1 mile) wide with the capital Adamstown located above Bounty Bay and accessed by the aptly named road, "The Hill of Difficulty".

Galapagos Islands

The Galapagos Islands are an archipelago located about 621 miles (1,000 km) from the continent of South America in the Pacific Ocean. The archipelago is composed of 19 volcanic islands that are claimed by Ecuador. The Galapagos Islands are famous for their variety of endemic (native only to the islands) wildlife.

Tristan de Cunha

Situated at 37 South and 12 West and 2000 kms from St Helena and 2800 kms from the nearest mainland Cape of Good Hope in South Africa, Tristan rises out of the ocean, it's volcanic peak crowned with an almost permanent cap of white cloud. Situated in the South Atlantic, summer on Tristan da Cunha falls between December to March. During the winter months the central peak,rising to a height of 2010 metres, is covered in snow.

Faroe Islands

Situated in the heart of the Gulf Stream in the North Atlantic at 62°00’N, the Faroe Islands lie northwest of Scotland and halfway between Iceland and Norway. The archipelago is composed of 18 islands covering 1399 km2 and is 113 km long and 75 km wide, roughly in the shape of an arrowhead

Andaman Islands
Andaman and Nicobar [1] are a large group of nearly 600 islands in the Bay of Bengal. Though they are a part of India geographically, they are closer to Myanmar and Thailand than to the Indian mainland. They are grouped here with Southern India. They were just north of the epicenter of the Boxing Day quake of 2004, and were the site of dozens of aftershocks. The Nicobars were badly hit the by the resulting tsunami, while the Andamans escaped with a few bruises. With the exception of Little Andaman Island and the Mahatma Gandhi Marine National Park, the rest of the tourist destinations are operating normally again.
mkorhone

Return to Unit 8