What can you find out about Net addiction?

Postby mkorhone » Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:01 pm

I found a very good definition of Net addiction: When you feel more comfortable with your online friends than your real ones, or you can not stop yourself from playing games, gambling, or compulsively surfing, even when it has negative consequences in your life, then you probably use the Internet too much. I recommend checking your net behaviour by remembering this definition.

What causes these addictions, according to the experts?
Many people turn to the Internet in order to manage unpleasant feelings such as stress, loneliness, depression, and anxiety. The better ways to solve these problems could be exercising, meditating, using sensory relaxation strategies, and practising simple breathing exercising.

What is the most interesting/useless/unusual advice on offer?
I think the most important advises are to notice signs and symptoms of Internet addiction. Here are some general warning signs that your Internet use may have become a problem:
• Losing track of time online.
• Having trouble completing tasks at work or home.
• Isolation from family and friends.
• Feeling guilty or defensive about your Internet use.
• Feeling a sense of euphoria while involved in Internet activities.

What other kinds of addictions are catered for on the Internet?
Internet addiction covers a variety of impulse-control problems, including
• Cybersex Addiction
• Cyber-Relationship Addition
• Net Compulsions
• Information Overload
• Computer Addiction

Do the experts consider these addictions to be diseases, crimes or personal weaknesses?
I would want to say that these addictions are not diseases, crimes or personal weaknesses. Many introvert, adolescent boys have these addictions. Boys having asperger syndrome can become addicted to the Internet. They have very bad social problems but in the same time they can have brilliant skills in Mathematics, Physics and Computer Sciences. However they need support groups or private counsellors so that they can live normal life without excess amount of the Internet.

What support groups are there for Net addicts?
It can be hard to find a real-life support group dedicated to the issue like Alcoholics Anonymous or Gamblers Anonymous. If that is a simultaneous problem for you, attending groups can help you work through your alcohol or gambling problems as well. S x Addicts Anonymous may be another place if you are having trouble with cybersex. The most important is to understand that you need real-people in your life.
mkorhone

Return to Unit 6