Discussion topic- Lesson 5

Discussion topic- Lesson 5

Postby rmontero » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:36 am

1.- Do you think it is best to avoid errors in class?
We all know that avoiding errors is completely impossible. Errors are the inseparable companions along the whole learning and teaching process. From this point of view, I would say that not only shouldn't we avoid errors in class, we should also teach our students to accept them and to deal with them since the very beginning.
To start, it is very positive for the group to show them that we, the teachers, also make mistakes and that we also have doubts. I think it is important to manifest to our students that we are not sure about an answer sometimes or that we need to think about it more carefully or that we even will check it out.
If we show a positive attitude, we don't become angry or impatient, towards their errors and we utilize these errors to make them think, they will learn a lot better. Giving them the opportunity to correct their own mistakes in pairs, or to work all together on the common mistakes or to let them notice or correct errors is a very rewarding experience, because in doing that, our students will experience the feeling of achievement. They will see that they already know something, that they have internalized an item and that they can now recognize it and produce it with accuracy.

2.-Do you believe it is important not to interrupt students when they are speaking in order to draw attention to their errors?
As some of my classmates have already stated, I think it is good, in general, try not to interrupt them when speaking, unless what they are saying will be completely incomprehensible. I agree with those that affirm that if we interrupt our students they will be paying more attention to "how" they are saying it, than to "what" they are saying and, besides, the talk won't turn out cohesive and logical.
Taking notes about their errors, especially about the most important ones for their level, to talk about them later is a good way of giving feedback to our students. The idea of the teacher making gestures to give the students the opportunity to correct themselves helps to keep fluency at the same time as making the students think.
Nevertheless, I think that, sometimes, providing our students with the first few words when they struggle can help them to go on in their talk . Also, shortly correcting what they said or inviting them to repeat what they wanted to say can give them a secure feeling.
rmontero

Return to Unit 5 - Discussion topic