Languages in danger

Languages in danger

Postby Anna » Thu May 11, 2017 12:44 pm

It’s amazing to discover how many languages are at risk of extinction, and, it shouldn't surprise us, also in Europe, not only on the third world. According to UNESCO, there are four levels of endangerment, depending on the degree of use of the language or whether it is already extinct. One of the classified as “definitely endangered” is Irish language, also referred to as Gaelic.
Irish is spoken as a first language by a minority of Irish people. It has constitutional status recognition in Republic of Ireland and officialdom on the European Union. It is the national and first official language of the Republic of Ireland.
The predominance of Irish lasted until 17th century, when the English state increased its power in Ireland. After de Great Famine (1845-52) the number of speakers decreased dramatically, being only used by the 15% of the Irish population.
Nowadays, most of people think that Irish is not suitable or useful to use it daily, although its symbolic value is well recognized. Although a certain level in Irish is required for public service jobs, as police, teachers, and it is required to National University students, people are concerned about the decreasing number of native speakers.
Anna

Re: Languages in danger

Postby Admin » Fri May 12, 2017 7:47 am

Very interesting Anna, I had no idea that Irish was endangered to this extent. Although when I think about it, of all my Irish friends there is not one who actually speaks it.. You write beautifully in English! Just a couple of tiny comments:
One of the classified as “definitely endangered= You are missing a noun here: classified what? One of the languages classified as....
most of people= Most people / most of the people
as police,= The expression is "such as" Such as the police or teachers.
it is required to National University students,= required of. Or you can say: It is also a requirement for students of the NAtional University.
Good work!
Pieter
Admin
Site Admin

Return to Unit 3