Net addiction

Net addiction

Postby Aitor » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:02 pm

1. What would you advise Roger Ridgway to do?
It might be difficult for Roger to kick the habit without someone else’s help. So, first of all, I think he should realise about his problem and its consequences. For example, he might be losing his friends now and forever. When you lose your life it is not easy making a new one and he could fall back into the same problem. He could look at Japanese hikikomori and ask himself if he wants to become like them. Once he recognises he has a problem, he could try to talk to someone who really could help him.
2. Do you think that Net addiction is exaggerated? Is it another case of media hype?
I think it is a real problem, so new, that maybe we are not taking measures against it. As I have mentioned in the previous question, we just have to look at Japan to realise what we can expect. I am sure that internet social services can also be helpful for some people, but as usual, it usually depends on the amount, in this case, the number of hours we are connected and if it influences in a bad manner into other aspects of our life.
3. Do we really live in an age of addiction? Can you think of any other so-called addictions that may be an invention of the media?
I think that most times different media focus on the same topic for a short period of time and this gives people a wrong impression about the problem. It seems that when the topic is not trending the problem has disappeared. So, I don’t think any problem is an invention. After having said this, I remember for example the vigorexia. I know people who used to go out with me and now they are training all the time running marathons or practising triathlons. They seem addicted to sports, and it probably is because adrenaline is addictive and people get easily hooked on it.
4. Do you use a computer regularly? What do you use it for? Could you live without it? Why/Why not?
I work with computers all the time and I bring my mobile phone with me everywhere. I use computers almost continuously and so I try to avoid its use when I can. I don’t let my mobile phone making noises when I receive a whatsapp or an email, and I check it from time to time when I remember it. My friends are similar to me and we do not send messages to each other unless it has been a long, long time without contact. During my holidays I forget computers and prefer reading books, but now, I also have an ebook, which is another computer, so... I do not need technology, but it is everywhere and useful. Maybe you just have to know when and what for use it.
Aitor

Re: Net addiction

Postby Admin » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:54 am

Thanks for your great message Aitor! I agree with you - Net addiction is definitely not an invention. You just have to walk down the street and you see hundreds of Net addicts staring at their screens, bumping into things.. :)
Excellent English by the way! Just one thing:
I bring my mobile phone with me everywhere= Here we would say: I carry my phone with me everywhere
I don’t let my mobile phone making noises when I receive a whatsapp or an email,= I turn off the notifications on my phone?
See you soon,
Pieter
Admin
Site Admin

Return to Unit 6